If you are a business that has been using social media since earlier times, then you probably know how vital hashtags are.
Hashtags have been a staple of social media since they were first introduced on Twitter in 2007.
Over the years, hashtags have become essential for social media marketing. They help businesses and brands increase brand awareness and connect with their target audience.
But as social media continues to evolve, some people are beginning to question whether hashtags are still relevant.
Before we dig into the answer to that question, look at some hashtag statistics.
- The number of hashtags used on average is 125 million per day.
- 72% of the LinkedIn community says that hashtags are instrumental to the success of any digital media marketing strategy.
- The tweets with hashtags have double the amount of engagement of those without any.
Read on to find out why hashtags should be used in marketing and how to use them effectively.
What is a hashtag?
A hashtag is a word or phrase that follows the symbol #, used to identify content related to a specific topic on social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and LinkedIn.
For example, #MeToo, #BlackLivesMatter, #CoronaVirus, etc.
What is a hashtag used for?
Hashtagging is a way to
- Categorize content on social media
- Find the content of interest.
- Join the discussions we are interested in.
- Raise awareness about the businesses.
- Reach potential customers.
- To create viral campaigns by social media marketers.
Why should you use hashtags?
Hashtags are a powerful tool for businesses looking to increase their visibility, reach new audiences, and drive engagement with their brand.
There are several key reasons why businesses should use hashtags for marketing. Some of the most important are as follows.
It reaches the target audience.
The brands using a hashtag get 50% increased engagement.
One of the biggest benefits of hashtags is that they help businesses connect with the target audience.
They allow businesses to target specific groups of people and demographics.
By researching popular hashtags in your industry or niche, you can ensure that your content reaches the right audience and increases the chances of engagement and conversions.
It helps increase brand awareness.
According to statistics, 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are used by brands. Hashtags are an effective tool to increase brand awareness.
Businesses and brands can use hashtags to promote their products, services, and events, helping to increase brand recognition and awareness.
By using specific hashtags, businesses and organizations can reach their target audience and connect with new followers.
It increases engagement.
Hashtags are a great way to encourage engagement and create buzz around your brand. Statistics show if you use a hashtag on Instagram, the chances of interactions increase by 29%.
By creating brand-specific hashtags or participating in popular trending hashtags, businesses can spark conversations and encourage users to engage with their content.
It can drive sales like crazy.
You can try a hashtag to create a call-to-action, encouraging users to engage with a post or participate in a campaign.
By using a trending hashtag, businesses can create a sense of urgency and encourage users to take immediate action, eventually driving more sales.
It helps conduct a better competitor analysis.
Analyzing competitors’ hashtags can provide valuable insights into their marketing strategies.
This helps conduct a thorough competitor analysis which helps you grow uniquely while fulfilling the needs of the consumers at the same time. This way you can make informed decisions.
It helps monitor performance metrics.
Using hashtags allows businesses to track the success of their social media campaigns.
By tracking which hashtags resonate with your audience and seeing how your content performs, businesses can gain valuable insights and make data-driven decisions about their marketing strategy.
It boosts your brand’s reputation.
By encouraging users to share positive experiences and content related to a brand using hashtags, businesses can improve their reputation by showcasing their strengths and values. When they use hashtags of your brand, they are actually doing a kind of word-of-mouth marketing for your business.
This type of promotion boosts your brand’s reputation and interests more people in what you are selling.
They are cost-effective.
Hashtags are a cost-effective way for businesses to reach a larger audience without spending much money on advertising.
Using hashtags, businesses can reach new audiences without breaking the bank, making it an attractive option for small businesses and startups.
Tips on ‘how to use hashtags effectively’
- Use specific, relevant hashtags: Avoid generic hashtags and choose tags that are directly related to your brand or product.
- Keep it short and simple: Use brief and memorable hashtags that are easy to remember and type.
- Limit the number of hashtags: Too many hashtags can come across as spammy, so limit your use to a maximum of 3-5 per post.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word: This makes your hashtag easier to read and adds a distinction between words.
- Use brand-specific hashtags: Use a branded hashtag to help increase brand awareness.
- Research popular hashtags: Look at what is popular in your industry or niche and try to incorporate it into your posts.
- Placing hashtags in the right place: According to a study, accounts with 5000 or fewer followers should place hashtags in the caption and accounts with more than 5000 followers should place hashtags in the first comment. It will effectively boost engagement.
- Always monitor performance: Track the performance of your hashtags to see popularity, reach, interactions, and audience and adjust accordingly.
Concluding the discussion, we can safely maintain that hashtags are still relevant and essential for social media marketing.
While they may have changed over the years, they are still an effective way to increase visibility, connect with customers, and increase brand awareness.
As long as users choose relevant hashtags and use them in moderation, they will continue to be valuable tools for social media marketing.